Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Road to Rallypoint

Like many people, I try to field  at least 1 new list at a tournament. This helps grow the learning curve, and also keeps the game fresh, both for myself and my opponents.

For Rallypoint, I have already decided that I was going to take the new Cryx Collossal, the Kraken.  After careful consideration of the casters that offer the most to the Tentacled Squid-bot, I have decided on a Goreshade the Cursed  list. This decision was mainly down to Phantom Hunter. A RNG 16, POW 14-17 gun that ignores LOS, cover and concealment and has a 4inch AOE. Yes, please. Add in the 4 inch melee range or 2 inch Sweep Power Attack that also ignore LOS and cover and you're are (hopefully) on to a winner.

Of course it wouldn't be a eGoreshade list without Banes, lots and lots of Banes. And then, for variety, MOAR BANEZ!!11!!! 

Goreshade the Cursed Tier 3 - 50pnts

eGoreshade - +5
    Scarlock Thrall
    Kraken

Bane Lord Tartarus
Necrotech + Scrap Thrall
3 Scrap Thralls
3 Scrap Thralls
Pistol Wraith

Max Bane Thralls w/UA
Max Bane Thralls w/ free UA (tier bonus)
Withershadow Combine

Reserves: Full Bane Knights

After a couple of games so far with this list, 3 things stick out:

1:  The Kraken will require a lot of practice to get the best out of. So far I think I have been too tentative in it's use, trying for the lucky Phantom Hunter assassination. I probably need to be a little more aggressive with it early game to collect some corpses and power up.

2: Although it is a Collossal, the Kraken WILL get one rounded by a halfway useful heavy. Stentus Maximus did it with Snapjaw and Luke B was damn unlucky not to do it with his EBDT. Screening charge lanes is something I need to get better at.

3: Full power Bane Thralls are some of the most fun shit I have used in a long time.  Tough + Dead Rise from the UA, (of which Goreshade allows me two of)  + Goreshades Elite Cadre rule (any warrior model killed by a Bane Thrall is ressurected as another Bane Thrall) + BLTs Bane friendly bag of tricks + eGoreshades feat  =  much hilarity for me and much muttering and cursing by opponents. This is definately something I need to learn to exploit better.

So more practice is definately required in the 4? weeks leading up to Rallypoint as well as a metric crapton of painting. Hopefully, progress will be made somewhere along the line.

1 comment:

  1. Although admittedly the Kraken was suffering from a case of Debuffitis when the big crocodile hit it. Wasn't it The Withering + Dark Shroud + that unfortunately scattering Black Oil?

    I think Squid-bot is the business - the model certainly blew me away in real life. And lulz to your 24 Tough/Dead Rising Banes... I was tearing my hair out trying to unravel that puzzle.

    ReplyDelete