Sunday, October 7, 2012

Road to Rallypoint - On the painting merry-go-round

A wise man once said " Every journey starts with a single step". Very zen that and ultimately, it's rubbish. The journey to Rallypoint for me, like many people starts with a metric crapload of painting.

On the painting table this time round, 8 Bane Thrall grunts, 2 Bane Thrall UA's (one set converted from leftover grunts), 10 Bane Knights, a second Pistol Wraith, eGoreshade and the Kraken. While the urge to paint the Kraken first was great, I have made myself paint the infantry first. And after a couple of weeks, we have progress.

8 Bane Thralls
 
10 Bane Knights
 
 
This just leaves me the Pistol Wraith and the 2 UA's to paint, before I can move onto the Kraken.

On the gaming side of things, I made my weekly Sunday trip to the Dojo and found myself up against Matt Carrs Khador.

Matts list looked something like this;

Old Witch
Scrapjack
Beast 09
Juggernaught
Decimator

Greylords
Gorman
the Elven Hooker
full IFP with UA
Widowmakers


Unfortunately for Matt, the usual trick of shieldwalling IFPs after charging doesn't work so well against a Phantom Huntered Tartarus. 9 IFPs converted to Banes and the remainder fueling the Kraken and things were looking bleak for Matt. They got worse when the banes created by BLT then scrapped Scrapjack, made a huge dent in Beast-09 and tied up the Juggernaught.

 Although Matt tried to sneaky a win with a crafty Decimator shot on Goreshade whom I hadn't bothered Occulating. (Lesson from this game, always Occulate, you never know where the shot that kills you may come from.) the game ended on my turn 4 with the Kraken assassinating the Old Witch in melee.

Although things went pretty much all my way this game, it was nice to see the Kraken finally do some damage, killing something every turn, with both Ranged and Melee attacks. And to get the assassination with it was just the icing on the cake. Hopefully, this means I am starting to get the hang of the thing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment