Thursday, October 25, 2012

Brimblecon - the aftermath.

So, it turns out that knowing what your stuff does is a thing. Only having played 1 game with a caster 8 months ago is not the best prep for a tournament. But, like everything Warmachine, it was still a great day. Props to Luke for organizing it. Like many others, I have become an instant fan of the 1 day, 4 game format.

 But how did my day actually play out you ask? Let me tell you a tale of my incompetence.

Game 1 vs John McLeish (Gators):
Hmmm, Venethrax vs Gators - this should be easy right? Not when the gators are packing more undead than me. Although I was slowly grinding the gators down I found myself with the dubious honour of "first clockout of the day"

Game 2 vs Luke Harvey (Trolls):
Right lets try this again. I got first turn moved everyone up at speed, Luke followed suit, lining his Kriel Warriors up in a perfect row, just waiting to be purged on. Which I duly did. Unfortunately, I forgot to pop Vennies feat first throwing away the perfect setup. Some pistol wraith shenanigans kept Mulg out of the way while the Bloodgorgers cut thier way through to a position where they could threaten Doomy in the next turn. I then commited massive screwup number 2 and charged big V at the Earthborn. Failed to scratch it behind the wall (missing boosted attacks rolls on 8s) and got pulped in return.

Game 3 vs Chris Townley (Khador):
Chris had a single, pButcher list loaded with both flavors of Iron Fang Pikemen. Perfect fodder of multiple Bile purges. Once agi, core plan of puge over the infantry worked a treat. Pistol Wraiths tied up 2 Jacks, Machine Wraith a third. Venethrax went for the kill and fluffed it, again. Got smashed in return, again.  Apparently big Venny isn't the hard ass I thought he was.

Game 4 vs Damian Reid (Khador):
So Damo and I faced off for the Wooden spoon. We both decided to use the lists we hadn't used all day, in his case Strakov. My "off" list was Mortenebra, with a small change from the list posted previously. I swapped out the 2 helldivers and the Defiler for Deathjack. Turn 1 saw Damo's Doomreavers rush foward as quickly as possible. These were met by an exploding scrapthrall and a charge into the woods by Deathjack accounted for his manhunters. Turn two saw the remaining Doomreavers pounce on Deathjack and take out an arm, while Strakov moved up behind a pair of Devastators. One one flank, an entire unit of Kossite woodsmen came on from the flank and charged a lone Warwitch Siren, doing a grand total of 1 damage. In return, the remaining scrapthrall exploded over the doomreavers engaged with DJ, giving him enough sould to heal himself up before finishing off the last 3 reavers himself. The Siren danced away from the kossites, leaving them bunched and vunerable to a possible power sweep by the Kraken later in the turn. Morty cast Terminal Velocity and one of the Slayers slammed a Devastator, hoping to crush Strakov with its bulk. Instead the angle of the hit meant it connected with the other Devastator instead resulting in them both being knocked down. Cue a charge from the Kraken and a couple of 4 nch melee attacks later the game was over.

So 14th out  of 16 with 1 win and no CPs. I feel the Venethrax list has potential, but is probably a little heavy on the anti-infantry at the moment. Dropping the Gorgers and Gerlak would give me room for some heavy hitters at 35 points and at 50 a second Seether would be most welcome, or maybe a Reaper/Malice to drag beasts out of position and into Vennys clutches without him needing to expose himself as much.

The one game I had with the Morty/Kraken list did not really show me much I didn't already know, but the Kraken + DJ + extras combo @ 50 points could be fun, but is not something that will see table time for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment