Saturday, January 24, 2015

Legion of the Noob - Part 3: The third list conundrum.

So Auckland Open is 3 lists. This means I need to figure out a third list. Given my limited experience with the faction, this is bad.
Auckland Open is also D&C 1, which means I actually have to play the third list at some point, rather than just writing down some evil looking thing that will scare my opponents into favourable drops while never actually seeing the table. Given my even more limited budget and timeframe, this is even worse.

As discussed earlier, picking my first two casters was easy. A third list requires a little more thought. Luckily, as a truck driver, I have plenty of time to think about Warmachine and run lists in my head. A number of casters have presented themselves as options, many of them the result of conventional, internet thinking.

Saeryn: Has the obvious benifit of not needing to buy a lot more models, maybe a pair of Angelius and the caster herself. The downside is she seems at first glance kinda boring.
Vayl: Either version is super tempting, but in reality probably require more time than I currently have to even get remotely comfortable with due to thier depth.
Kallus: The "Miserable Ginger Mountain" appeals to me but probably has too much infantry to paint for the time I have available.

Having gotten exactly nowhere thinking in terms of casters, I then switched to thinking about matchups and whether my two list pairing had any obvious holes. The immediate problem list that has sprung to mind is Meat Mountain/Fist of Halaak style lists. While Absolonia has some game against MMM, it seems, in theory at least, to be restricted to using her feat to clear a lane to the caster before something vaguely dragonshaped eats said casters face. A fun and simple plan to be sure but it doesn't seem very reliable.  And poor Lylyth2 has exactly zero game against MMM. What I need is a list that can spread a decent number of high power attacks around, with a better than average chance of killing any Warder/Cetratii it makes contact with.

Enter the Blighted Ogrun Warspears. Thanks to the UA, they go to Mat 9, RAT 7, P+S15 vs thier Prey target, with effectively two attacks thanks to assault. This seems like a good place to start. Black Frost Shard adds another 2 points of damage to that equation. I still need a caster, but it seems pLylyth (Parasite) or pThagrosh (Draconic Blessing) will both turn these guys up to 11. Lylyth does have the added bonus of already being painted and I figure that the Prime and Epic versions of Lylyth play very similarly so I can play both lists and effectively double down on the learning.

To this end, I have come up with the following list:

pLylyth
  Succubus
  2 x Ravagore (because...Ravagore)
  Shredder
2 x Spell Martyrs ( to get Parasite where I need it)
Forsaken
Strider Deathstalker
Shepherd
Blackfrost Shard
Blighted Ogrun Warspear w/UA
Blighted Ogrun Warspear w/UA

Some testing is obviously in order, but luckily, the Dojo is swimming in Troll players, so finding a Mountain o' Meat to proxy this list against shouldn't be too difficult.

Now, get off my lawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment